Thursday 14 July 2011

Romanian Adventure - Penultimate Day

The end is nigh. (dun-dun-dunnnn!)

Today was my penultimate day of teaching in Romania: the finish line is in sight! Despite the fact that the group was a lot smaller, it actually worked better as the students who weren't really keen on speaking aloud were given more of a chance to come out of their shell which was fantastic, and made me feel like they were finally getting something out of it. One game involved choosing a topic to discuss e.g. the last book you read, one thing you would do if you had 24 hours to live etc, and then throwing a frisbee to each person - whoever catches it had to tell the rest of the group their experience of whatever the topic was. This was pretty eye-opening and they all had interesting stories to tell. It felt a lot more comfortable and relaxed today as they were an absolutely lovely group, meaning I didn't have to constantly remind people to talk 'in Engleza' or to zip it when someone else was talking. I'm so glad I could get them speaking (fairly) confidently before I left - even if they've hated the lessons, I've achieved that much at least. I hope they feel encouraged after today; their English is so much better than they realise. They should be proud of themselves!

The best part of today was when me and Andra exchanged gifts - felt like Christmas Eve! She gave me some beautiful friendship bracelets amongst other homemade goodies. That simple gesture alone made coming here worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment