Sunday 3 July 2011

Romanian Adventure - Day 1

As I'm typing this, I'm sitting in a room in my host family's apartment in the gorgeous city of Arad, Romania:



My hosts are a girl named Andra who speaks amazing English, certainly better than my Romanian, and her mum. I hit the jackpot with them as they're incredibly friendly and welcoming, and I haven't been left on my own at all...yet! Last night, Andra took me to an awesome club which plays strictly 80s music, complete with cheesy disco balls. When we opened the doors to go in, we were confronted with a pretty bizarre sight: a bride in her wedding dress was climbing the stairs followed by a throng of bridesmaids. Not something you see every day! Andra told me that it's a tradition on the evening of the wedding to 'steal' the bride from the party and take her to a club, then demand alcohol as 'ransom'. Anyone reckon this idea should be introduced in England? ;)

Will write in more detail later on, as my first day of teaching to a class full of Romanian students (an experience which I'm even more terrified about than that time when my little cousin persuaded me to go on a roller coaster with a 110 foot vertical drop...yes, I know, I'm a wimp) is tomorrow and being late wouldn't make the greatest impression. But I've made it this far, so I'll stick it out. Hopefully it won't be too much of a disaster. What will be will be, and all that jazz.

La revedere for now!

P.S If anyone reading this has had experience of teaching ESL, please give me some much-needed tips! Thanks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment